Simon Thorpe MW steps down as CEO of WineGB
3rd April 2023
Wines of Great Britain (WineGB) has announced the resignation of its CEO Simon Thorpe MW, who has served the organisation for over two years and will now be returning to his roots as an importer and distributor.
Bringing 30 years’ of industry experience to the role, Mr Thorpe became CEO of WineGB in October 2020 and as appointed to the board in April 2021. During his time at the organisation, he has overseen the unprecedented growth of the industry and helped transform Wine GB into a strong and united voice for its members.
Mr Thorpe commented: “I am lucky enough to have been the CEO of WineGB through such an exciting and dynamic time in UK wine and am confident I leave a team and organisation that can deliver on our three-pillar strategy of Industry Leadership, Growth, and Member Support.
“WineGB now represents over 80% of the 4000+ hectares of UK vineyards and producers with strong growth projections, so the industry and organisation are in great shape and we should be proud of what we’ve achieved.
“It is a truly exciting time for viticulture and wine making in this country, the future is bright and I will be cheering its progress from the sidelines.”
Sam Linter, chair of WineGB, thanked Simon for his hard work and contributions to the current success of the organisations. Building on his achievements, WineGB looks forward to:
- The imminent revision of its PDO/PGI scheme, helping local and global consumers meaningfully navigate quality WineGB wines
- Increased membership and gaining a stronger voice
- Delivering the Sustainable wines of Great Britain scheme, which will help make UK wine the most environmentally friendly choice for consumers and contribute to the UK’s net zero target
- Rapidly increasing diversity within the industry, with exciting career paths created within businesses and promoted through academic organisations
- Announcing more sell-out events, providing both members, sponsors and trade with opportunity to connect, talk and grow together
- Growing its domestic and global presence by continuing to nurture relationships with the UK trade and export markets
Mr Thorpe’s last day will be 31st May and along with its members, WineGB would like to thank the CEO for his dedicated service and wish him all the best in his new role.
While his resignation is disappointing to all, the organisation is extremely excited about the future of the UK wine industry and looks forward to appointing a new CEO to help deliver its ongoing vision.